Take proper steps to document consultations accurately
Conduct an audit, hire a risk consultant to help identify the errors
Consultations fall in the category of a higher-paying E/M service because a consultation usually requires more of the physician’s time and involvement.
Therefore, proper documentation and coding is essential to receive deserved reimbursement. And because of the higher reimbursement associated with consultations, these visits face increased regulatory scrutiny, making accuracy all the more important.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- 'Country Doctor of the Year' Embraces Challenges of Rural Medicine