Tackle substance abuse in the workplace with these preventive measures
Imagine discovering that one of your employees has been stealing prescription drugs from work to support a substance abuse habit that you never even suspected. Sound unlikely? Think again. "It's a humongous problem," says Sheila Dunn, DA, MT (ASCP), founder and president of Quality America, Inc., an Asheville, NC-based company that sells Occupational Safety and Health Administration manuals and training programs to medical facilities. The American Journal of Public Health estimates that one in 12 nurses in the United States has an alcohol or drug problem severe enough to affect his or her practice.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs