Periodontists report new oral-systemic ties
The evidence keeps mounting that links oral health to systemic health, a development that's already starting to change the design of dental benefits. Here's an update. A study reported in the July Journal of Periodontology (JOP), which evaluated 26 pregnant women with a diagnosis of threatened premature labor, found periodontal bacteria P. gingivalis in both the oral cavity and the amniotic fluid of 30% of the subjects. Any disruption in amniotic fluid, such as a bacterial infection, can be dangerous to both the mother and baby.
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers