Gunman kills himself inside Palm Bay (FL) Hospital
A fired employee with a history of mental illness walked into Palm Bay Hospital Thursday afternoon to say goodbye to his former co-workers, then shot himself to death, police said.
John Jack, 39, of Melbourne, had been threatening suicide since February and had been involuntarily committed for psychiatric observation sometime before that under the state's Baker Act, Palm Bay police spokesman Yvonne Martinez said. He texted friends a goodbye message on the way to the hospital, she said.
"He appeared to be on a mission," Martinez said.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- Small Doesn't Mean Doomed