Gunman kills himself inside Palm Bay (FL) Hospital
A fired employee with a history of mental illness walked into Palm Bay Hospital Thursday afternoon to say goodbye to his former co-workers, then shot himself to death, police said.
John Jack, 39, of Melbourne, had been threatening suicide since February and had been involuntarily committed for psychiatric observation sometime before that under the state's Baker Act, Palm Bay police spokesman Yvonne Martinez said. He texted friends a goodbye message on the way to the hospital, she said.
"He appeared to be on a mission," Martinez said.
- Reform Puts Vise Grips on Physicians
- Medicare Opt-Out a Viable Physician Strategy
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- NPP Demand Rising Under Value-Based Care Models
- How Physicians Can Help Ease Mental Health Provider Shortages
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- Boston Marathon Bombing Yields Lessons for Hospitals
- Esther Dyson Launches Population Health Challenge
- Physicians as Economic Powerhouses and Tech Laggards
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics