Gunman kills himself inside Palm Bay (FL) Hospital
A fired employee with a history of mental illness walked into Palm Bay Hospital Thursday afternoon to say goodbye to his former co-workers, then shot himself to death, police said.
John Jack, 39, of Melbourne, had been threatening suicide since February and had been involuntarily committed for psychiatric observation sometime before that under the state's Baker Act, Palm Bay police spokesman Yvonne Martinez said. He texted friends a goodbye message on the way to the hospital, she said.
"He appeared to be on a mission," Martinez said.
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- No Boost to NFP Hospital Bond Ratings from Medicaid Expansion
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- Top 3 Nursing Lessons of 2014
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment