Physician pleads guilty to 274 felony counts
In pleading guilty Wednesday to hundreds of felony counts, a Coachella Valley-area physician acknowledged using other people's identities and other doctors' prescription pads to obtain thousands of highly addictive painkillers.
Dr. Lisa Michelle Barden, 41, admitted to 274 felony counts, but decided to go to trial on two other charges: filing a false workers' compensation report for $62,000 and filing a false police report.
The trial on those counts is set for Dec. 28 in Palm Springs, but testimony is unlikely to be taken until early January, after the holiday period, said John Hall of the Riverside County District Attorney's Office.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians