HIMSS 2008: Hitting the Suite Spot
The approach is a compromise between a single vendor solution, in which a hospital turns to a single primary vendor for its functions, and best of breed, which calls for multiple niche applications. With the best of suite philosophy, the hospital leans on one vendor to supply multiple modules for a core group of functions. For example, its revenue cycle management supplier, Keane, provides integrated software that handles registration, billing, and accounts receivables. Its clinical system, from Quadramed, handles results, orders, and electronic signatures for physicians.
During his presentation at HIMSS, Cox described how he turned the management of the complex project over to various department leaders. Before vendor selection began, department leaders created their own "success criteria" for what they wanted to achieve with the new technology. The effort included mapping common patient scenarios and the data exchanges needed to facilitate them. The effort laid the groundwork for the entire project, Cox said.
Now that the systems are in place, Riverview is seeing enhanced efficiency and wider use of the technology by physicians, Cox said. Half of its physicians use remote access technology to retrieve clinical information.
Cox's next step will be upgrading Riverview's 20 owned medical group practices--which encompass about 50 physicians--to a hybrid practice management and clinical documentation system from Misys. The vendor's open source software will facilitate broader data exchange across the community, Cox said.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission