To reduce risks, hospitals enlist 'proceduralists'
Wall Street Journal (subscription required), July 11, 2007
With a steady decline in the number of doctors trained to perform such skills-intensive medical procedures in recent years, some large academic medical centers are looking for ways to fill the gap. They are creating special procedure services and new procedure-training programs for medical residents.
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Roundtable: To Arrest HAIs, Culture Trumps Campaigns
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Slideshow: Healthcare Leaders Name IT Spending Priorities
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations
- New Orleans East Hospital opens quietly, still seeking accreditation
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations