Five years ago, the 224-bed Uniontown (PA) Hospital was looking to upgrade its information technology systems. Because of a lack of technical resources, the complexity of maintaining and managing a health information system internally would have been challenging for Uniontown, which is located 50 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.
"Being a rural hospital, I was really concerned about having to depend on just a few people who had the knowledge and the ability to provide assurance of our systems working on a 24/7 basis," says Uniontown Senior Vice President Steven Handy. "We didn't have the depth of knowledge that you really should have if you are going to properly assure service and support, and we truly wanted to come up with solutions that could help us change the process for the better."
As a result, Uniontown chose Cerner's Remote Hosting Option for its IT management needs. Uniontown has close to 30 Cerner applications that help support the overall patient visit from beginning to end, including tools related to registration, billing, medical records, clinical charting, lab, radiology, the pharmacy and the emergency department.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians