Baptist Health System Plans New Hospital
San Antonio-based Baptist Health System has purchased a 56-acre parcel of land in New Braunfels, TX, where it hopes to build a new hospital.
The hospital, which would be built near Interstate 35 and Loop 306, would provide comprehensive acute care medical and emergency care, as well as cardiovascular services and neonatology, according to Baptist.
Baptist is building the hospital because the population has exploded in the area. Plus, the system said, Comal County alone is expected to nearly triple by 2040.
"The tremendous growth in Comal, Guadalupe and Hays counties has meant an increase in demand for medical services," said Graham Reeve, president and chief executive officer for Baptist Health System. "With its location near two major roadways, the new hospital will provide greater access for area residents to a full range of medical services, specialist physicians and top-flight programs like the Baptist Brain & Stroke Network."
Mark Hickman, MD and general surgeon, said, "As a physician, resident, and board member of the New Braunfels Economic Development Foundation, I know that it's important for our growing community to have choice and access to care where we need it most. The site of the new hospital, along with the full range of services offered there, will be a boon to the health of residents in our area."
Baptist said the new hospital would enhance the local economy and complement the current healthcare services.
"Proximity to high-quality hospital services is often a top site-selection factor for expanding and relocating businesses," said Michael Meek, president of the Greater New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce. "Our community has identified additional medical services as a major goal and this decision will bring additional economic impact to the area and services nearer to our residents."
The health system is working on design and planning to determine the facility's bed size and exact scope of services. The hospital is expected to open in 2012, said Baptist.
Les Masterson is an editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q