Texas Children's Opens $220M West Campus Hospital
Texas Children's Hospital has opened its first suburban hospital in the Barker Cypress area of West Houston. The $220 million, 48-bed, Texas Children's Hospital West Campus will serve one of the nation's fastest growing pediatric populations—the area from Sugar Land to Bryan-College Station, TX, THC said.
The five-story, 515,000 square-foot West Campus hospital has about 370 physicians, nurses, and staff. It sits on 55 acres and features the only 24/7 pediatric emergency room in the Greater West Houston area, two operating rooms, 48 intermediate and acute-care patient beds, advanced imaging, a sleep lab, a pathology lab and a pharmacy.
The hospital can expand to accommodate an additional 48 beds. An attached outpatient clinic, which opened in December, has 15 pediatric subspecialty practices including physical/occupational and speech therapy, cardiology, and oncology, and houses a Texas Children's Pediatric Associates primary care practice.
West Campus is a part of the hospital's $1.5 billion expansion, Vision 2010, which also includes the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute, the nation's first multi-disciplinary research institute for childhood neurological disorders, and the Texas Children's Pavilion for Women, an obstetrics hospital focusing on high-risk births.
“The opening of this new community hospital exemplifies Texas Children's 50-year commitment to the health and wellbeing of children and families by providing them with expanded access to the highest quality family-centered pediatric care,” said Mark A. Wallace, president/CEO of TCH. “Our new community hospital complements the services we provide at our Main Campus in the Texas Medical Center and is a key component of our vision for the future.”
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers