Highmark, UPMC reach agreement until 2015
Gov. Tom Corbett announced Highmark and UPMC have reached a deal to provide Highmark insurance customers with in-network access to all UPMC physicians and hospitals through 2014. Mr. Corbett said he brought the two Pittsburgh health companies together several weeks ago to negotiate with the help of a third-party mediator, David F. Simon, the executive vice president and chief legal officer of Jefferson Health System in Southeastern Pennsylvania. The governor did not elaborate about how the state would prompt the feuding companies to reach an accord but he noted the benefits Highmark and UPMC receive from their tax-exempt status as non-profit institutions.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs