West Penn Allegheny doesn't control destiny in wake of Highmark-UPMC contract
While Highmark subscribers may be breathing easier now that Highmark and UPMC have extended their contract to 2015, you might forgive some folks at West Penn Allegheny Health System for still feeling apprehensive. On Thursday, Highmark Board Chairman and Acting CEO J. Robert Baum sent a letter to all West Penn Allegheny staff members saying "Highmark remains totally committed to the partnership that we've established with the West Penn Allegheny Health System." But between Highmark's search for a new CEO, West Penn Allegheny's continuing financial losses and a sooner-than-expected showdown between West Penn's Forbes Regional Hospital and the new UPMC East Hospital in Monroeville, the future of West Penn Allegheny in its current form looks far from certain.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- Ebola: Second TX Nurse Diagnosed After Improper Protective Gear Application
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients