WellPoint CEO Braly resigns
Angela Braly resigned as chairman and chief executive officer of WellPoint Inc. after recent criticism from shareholders who said the second-leading U.S. insurer was underperforming. The shares rose. John Cannon, the company's executive vice president and general counsel, will serve as interim CEO while WellPoint searches for a replacement, the Indianapolis-based insurer said today in a statement. Cannon isn't a candidate for the permanent job, according to the statement. During her five-year tenure, Braly, 51, made herself a foe of the health-care overhaul and, more recently, of investors after WellPoint missed earnings estimates and cut its forecast twice in four months.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening