Meaningful Use Push for Rural Hospitals is On
Officials with the Office of the National Coordinator have issued an "all hands on deck" call to accelerate meaningful use certification for more than 1,000 small rural hospitals by the end of 2014.
ONC's Mat Kendall, director, Office of Provider Adoption Support, and Leila Samy, Rural Health IT Coordinator made the call in a blog post last week, and announced that ONC will provide up to $30 million in supplemental for Regional Extension Centers to make it happen.
"We need everyone rowing in sync," Kendall and Samy wrote, "including leadership and staff in every critical access and rural hospital, EHR vendors, hospital associations, and state offices of rural health in every state, Rural Health IT Network Development grantees, ONC grantees, and many more public and private, Federal and local partners."
The federal government is finally applying nautical metaphors to problems with meaningful use attestation that rural healthcare providers and advocates have complained about for months — namely that smaller rural hospitals have been given short shrift in the move to meaningful use.
Kendall and Samy enthusiastically note that more than 1,220 critical access hospitals and rural hospitals have enrolled with an REC for assistance with meaningful use attestation.
"This is great news because it provides data supporting the anecdotal evidence that Critical Access Hospitals and rural hospitals along with the clinicians working in these hospitals recognize the value of health IT and want to offer their communities healthcare services powered by the benefits of meaningfully using certified EHRs," they write.
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- TJC Warns Hospitals of Deadly Medical Tubing Mistakes
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- The secret committee behind our soaring healthcare costs