Opinion: UPMC and other big nonprofits should remain tax-exempt
Just how schizophrenic we have become over UPMC and other local "super" nonprofits is showcased by Mayor Luke Ravenstahl suing UPMC to lift its tax exemption while lauding UPMC for funding The Pittsburgh Promise. After an extensive expose of UPMC real estate holdings by the Post-Gazette, Allegheny County Council is holding hearings on UPMC's tax-exempt properties as well. Now, if there is any elected official with more reason to resent UPMC than myself, please have him or her call me. After watching UPMC raze our beloved hospital in Braddock and call Pittsburgh's finest to arrest me, and then having UPMC ignore my fruitless groveling for an urgent care center, I have more than three years' worth of bloody knuckles from this unrequited relationship.
- Governors Push to Expand Role of PAs, Telemedicine
- 3 More Pioneer ACOs Say They Will Quit
- Top Provider Billing Mistakes Are Changing
- Payer Calls for More Primary Care Docs, Team Care
- Ebola in the U.S.: Reason to Fear, to Hope, to Prepare
- These Algorithms Reduce Readmissions
- Employee Engagement: Make It Meaningful
- Overcoming a Payer Mix 'Nightmare'
- Why Open Payments Irks Physicians
- Open Payments Site Launches to User Complaints