Population Health Fuel? Community-Based Initiatives
The need for big changes driven by healthcare reform brings tremendous opportunities for community hospitals to play an even greater role in the health and welfare of the people they serve. Having a leadership strategy is crucial.
HLM Intelligence Report on Population Health
Hospital and physician leaders across the country have expressed legitimate concerns about the population health movement and their responsibilities for controlling health outcomes that are almost entirely determined by what happens outside of the hospital walls.
Clinicians can provide the best medical care in the world and can give a patient explicit post-discharge instructions and a medication regimen only to see that patient return to the emergency department a week or so after discharge back into his reality. In the brave new reimbursement world, providers will have a financial stake in that readmission.
Fair or not, that is the new reality of healthcare reform and to their credit most hospital and physician leaders have that I have spoken with have accepted their new responsibilities.
The good news is that change of this magnitude will bring with it tremendous opportunities for community hospitals to play an even greater role in the health and welfare of the people they serve. Improving population health will require that everyone in the community play their part, and that someone takes the lead.
And there are few more-trusted or qualified people in most communities to play a leadership role than hospital executives and physicians.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting