Population Health Fuel? Community-Based Initiatives
The need for big changes driven by healthcare reform brings tremendous opportunities for community hospitals to play an even greater role in the health and welfare of the people they serve. Having a leadership strategy is crucial.
HLM Intelligence Report on Population Health
Hospital and physician leaders across the country have expressed legitimate concerns about the population health movement and their responsibilities for controlling health outcomes that are almost entirely determined by what happens outside of the hospital walls.
Clinicians can provide the best medical care in the world and can give a patient explicit post-discharge instructions and a medication regimen only to see that patient return to the emergency department a week or so after discharge back into his reality. In the brave new reimbursement world, providers will have a financial stake in that readmission.
Fair or not, that is the new reality of healthcare reform and to their credit most hospital and physician leaders have that I have spoken with have accepted their new responsibilities.
The good news is that change of this magnitude will bring with it tremendous opportunities for community hospitals to play an even greater role in the health and welfare of the people they serve. Improving population health will require that everyone in the community play their part, and that someone takes the lead.
And there are few more-trusted or qualified people in most communities to play a leadership role than hospital executives and physicians.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes