HL20: Laurent Gueris—Creating a Patient Experience Environment
When Laurent Gueris noticed how the environmental services staff he manages at a California medical center was interacting with patients, he wasn't pleased. His work with his 45-member team has turned things around and had a profound impact on patient satisfaction.
This profile was published in the December, 2013 issue of HealthLeaders magazine.
Laurent Gueris, as manager of environmental services, oversees cleaning and sanitation at the 283-staffed-bed Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center in San Pedro, Calif. But a few years ago, Gueris noticed his staff walking in and out of patient rooms, quietly moving throughout the hospital while not making eye contact with the patients, barely looking at them. No "hello." No "how-are-you?"
Gueris wasn't happy about it. "When it comes to being courteous in a hospital by staff, there's no excuse. This is not a courthouse," he says.
Gueris tapped into that invisible presence, that silence, and wondered about its impact on patient satisfaction, one the measurements used by the government for hospital payments. Over time, he has worked with his 45-member staff to improve their interactions with patients, which he says had a surprising, yet profound impact on patient satisfaction.
Using role-playing, he "play-acted" staffers' interactions with patients and even videotaped their sessions. Those exercises brought out hospital employees' innate compassion and gave them confidence to open up to patients, Gueris says. "They could see themselves in a more powerful way," he says. "It's very powerful when you look in your own mirror," he says.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty