How a Community Hospital Tackles Diabetes
A community hospital on the edge of Appalachia is becoming a leader in diabetes management and prevention. It's found a way to shorten patients' length of stay, boost prevention efforts, and help train endocrinology specialists.
Jay H. Shubrook, DO, FACOFP, FAAFP
The fight against diabetes is being fought hard in places as far flung as school lunch rooms and large academic medical centers. But there's one place that's in the vanguard: a community hospital in Athens, OH.
OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital, a 132-bed acute care facility is on the front lines of the battle against diabetes, a killer that claims thousands of American lives every year.
It's facing a diabetes epidemic, says Jay H. Shubrook, DO, FACOFP, FAAFP. Shubrook is director of the clinical division of The Diabetes Institute at the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, and he serves in leadership positions at O'Bleness Hospital including director of diabetes services.
The southeastern Ohio community around the hospital is economically disadvantaged and in poor health. The incidence of diabetes in the area is 40 percent, which is more than four times the national average, according to the American Diabetes Association.
"They get diagnosed early and have complications early," says Shubrook.
The Athens rate even exceeds the projection for the US population in 2050. It's expected that about one third of the adult US population will have the illness by then.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations