Philadelphia hospitals fight to save victims of violent crimes and their own fiscal health
According to data released by the Delaware Valley Healthcare Council of the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia's five Level 1 adult and pediatric trauma centers collectively lose an estimated $8 million annually in caring for victims of violence who cannot pay for healthcare. In 2004, for example, 786 Philadelphians were hospitalized for gunshot wounds. About 13% of those victims had no insurance at all, and a little over a third had Medical Assistance coverage. Medical Assistance reimburses the hospitals about 85% of the cost of care, but the hospitals must absorb the remaining 15%.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised