Nonprofit hospitals flex pricing power
Nonprofit hospital systems like Roanoke, VA-based Carilion have seen their power over their regional communities increase as their incomes have surged. Critics say, however, that this is creating untaxed local healthcare monopolies that drive the costs of care higher. Nonprofits have also come under fire from patient advocates and members of Congress for stinting on charity care even as they amass large cash hoards, build new facilities, and award big paychecks to their executives.
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- PCI: Concerns Mount About Appropriateness
- Transforming Cancer Care
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions