Physician pleads guilty to 274 felony counts
In pleading guilty Wednesday to hundreds of felony counts, a Coachella Valley-area physician acknowledged using other people's identities and other doctors' prescription pads to obtain thousands of highly addictive painkillers.
Dr. Lisa Michelle Barden, 41, admitted to 274 felony counts, but decided to go to trial on two other charges: filing a false workers' compensation report for $62,000 and filing a false police report.
The trial on those counts is set for Dec. 28 in Palm Springs, but testimony is unlikely to be taken until early January, after the holiday period, said John Hall of the Riverside County District Attorney's Office.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- Small Doesn't Mean Doomed