Analyst: Highmark dominion in decline
Highmark fired Dr. Kenneth Melani for "gross and willful misconduct" on April 1 because of another high-profile fight that went public. The sudden downfall of Melani, who earned $4.3 million last year, left healthcare industry experts reeling. The future of financially struggling West Penn Allegheny Health System and its 11,000 employees hangs in the balance. Highmark's fortune will be at risk if it loses subscribers to UPMC Health Plan or other insurers that will offer in-network access to UPMC hospitals and doctors when the UPMC-Highmark contract expires in 2013.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer