WellPoint's 1Q profit falls as costs climb
WellPoint Inc. said Wednesday that its first-quarter profit fell 7.6 percent as enrollment slipped and expenses rose, but the health insurer raised its earnings forecast for 2012. The Indianapolis company reported net income of $856.5 million, or $2.53 per share, for the three months ended March 31, down from $926.6 million, or $2.44 per share, a year earlier. Excluding investment gains, WellPoint earned $2.34 per share in this year's first quarter. Operating revenue climbed 3.4 percent to $15.15 billion from $14.65 billion a year ago. Analysts surveyed by FactSet expected, on average, earnings of $2.27 per share on $15.41 billion in revenue.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'