HMA plans continued push to expand, despite '60 Minutes' report
"The pipeline is rich." That's what Gary Newsome, the CEO of Naples-based Health Management Associates Inc., had to say when an analyst asked for an update on its hospital buying opportunities during the company's last earnings conference call. Newsome's optimism came in October, several weeks before "60 Minutes" aired a segment on its investigation of the hospital operator, in which several former employees accused the company of fraud - and of pressuring doctors into admitting patients needlessly to boost revenues.
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- ICD-10 Delay Alters Provider, Vendor Prep
- Esther Dyson Launches Population Health Challenge
- Crisis Spurs Healthcare Payment Reform in Arkansas
- Payment Reform Naysayers 'Better Wake Up'
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- HIT Leaders Want Flexibility, Transparency from Next HHS Chief
- As Hospitalist Patient Loads Rise, So Do Hospital Costs
- Reduce Readmissions by Activating Patients to Do 'Self-Care'
- Advance Directives: Let's Make a Law