VIDEO: Very different hospital bills for the very same treatment
For the first time, the federal government has disclosed what hospitals charge for the 100 most common Medicare DRGs. The findings, revealed Wednesday, show not only massive disparities between hospitals in states nationwide, but even larger gaps between individual communities all around the country. Examples of the different types of bills include use of a ventilator for breathing difficulties, treatment for pneumonia and the cost of a joint replacement. Wonkblog's Sarah Kliff discusses these findings in this video.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- CMS Confirms ICD-10 Deadline
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts
- Premium Subsidy Fight Creating Uncertainty for Hospitals, Health Plans
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts