VIDEO: Very different hospital bills for the very same treatment
For the first time, the federal government has disclosed what hospitals charge for the 100 most common Medicare DRGs. The findings, revealed Wednesday, show not only massive disparities between hospitals in states nationwide, but even larger gaps between individual communities all around the country. Examples of the different types of bills include use of a ventilator for breathing difficulties, treatment for pneumonia and the cost of a joint replacement. Wonkblog's Sarah Kliff discusses these findings in this video.
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- States Without Medicaid Expansion Search for Alternatives