Geisinger, AtlantiCare Enter 'Integration' Talks
A merger would unite two of the strongest health systems in the mid-Atlantic region. Physician-led Geisinger is known for its work advancing population health and value-based care. New Jersey-based AtlantiCare has a national reputation for performance excellence. Both have high bond ratings.
David P. Tilton, president/CEO of AtlantiCare
Geisinger Health System and AtlantiCare announced this week that they are exploring an affiliation.
"What we are contemplating is a fully integrated model," says David P. Tilton, president/CEO of Atlantic City, NJ-based AtlantiCare. "That is the way that we will most effectively share best practices, learn from each other, and develop AtlantiCare in Southeastern New Jersey. Ultimately we are trying to build a healthy community in southern New Jersey. That is what we've always been about and this opportunity with Geisinger helps us move more quickly and effectively in that direction."
The health systems signed a letter of intent this week after AtlantiCare spent a year winnowing the field. They will spend the next nine months to a year exploring their affiliation options.
If the talks are successful, a merger would unite two of the strongest health systems in the region. Danville, PA-based Geisinger has built a national reputation for its work advancing population health and value-based care, and its innovative use of healthcare information technology. Geisinger is the nation's largest rural health services organization, serving more than 2.6 million people in 44 counties in central and northeastern Pennsylvania. The physician-led system has more than 20,800 employees, including a 1,000-member multi-specialty group practice, seven hospitals, two research centers and a 448,000-member health plan.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers