Restructuring a Health System to Reduce Waste and Prepare for Population Health
Nebraska Medical Center is integrating its care sites into a single clinical enterprise. It's a massive, but necessary, undertaking that requires new roles and a culture change.
Clinical integration is an ongoing trend among healthcare provider organizations. But what does it really entail, and what are the difficulties? Omaha-based Nebraska Medical Center is in the process of integrating its hospitals and other care sites into one clinical enterprise with the goals of increasing efficiency and creating a better, more consistent patient experience. It's a major organizational transformation for the 621-bed institution.
"We recognize that to be successful going forward, we have to become one clinically integrated organization and break down the silos. That is very important," says William Dinsmoor, who until recently was CFO and is now CEO of the clinical enterprise for Nebraska Medical Center. Brad Britigan, MD, serves as president of the clinical enterprise under the new structure. The new leadership structure, announced in January, is meant to reflect the new organization's needs.
The organization will also likely change its name in conjunction with the new enterprise management strategy, but a final decision on branding has not been made yet.
Within the new framework, clinicians throughout the system will be able to access all patient records, which Dinsmoor says will "significantly reduce waste and improve the patient experience."
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Behind the CVS Health Rebranding Strategy
- CMS Pitches Medicare Appeals Deal to Hospitals
- Mobile Health Screenings Come Under Scrutiny
- How MA plans to re-enroll 450,000 residents in health insurance
- House OKs Cassidy's 'keep your plan' bill
- Medicare is pricier in unhealthy states, study says
- Washington, Wall Street Gauge HIX Performance as Open Enrollment Nears