Anthem, HealthCare Partners ACO Saves $4.7 Million
During a six-month period, Anthem Blue Cross and HealthCare Partners reported an 18% decrease in the length of hospital inpatient stays for patients in their southern California accountable care organization compared to patients outside the ACO.
Anthem Blue Cross and HealthCare Partners Medical Group have announced that their ACO generated an estimated $4.7 million in savings in the first six months of 2013 by shortening hospital stays and reducing the incidence of ED visits among participants.
The ACO involves more than 52,000 Anthem PPO patients in Southern California cared for by HealthCare Partners, a medical group with more than 6,300 primary care physicians and specialists. During the six-month study period, Anthem and HealthCare Partners reported an 18% decrease in the length of hospital inpatient stays for the ACO group compared to patients outside the ACO.
The incidence of both hospital visits and outpatient visits—including ED visits—declined 4%. Members also reported 4% fewer lab visits and radiology visits and slightly better results in managing cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels.
"Until now, the promise of better care and lower costs via ACOs in the commercial PPO population has not been clearly documented," said Mark Morgan, president of Anthem Blue Cross. "Through the collaboration of medical teams at Anthem and HealthCare Partners, we are able to provide one of the first well-documented reductions in medical cost trends in the national commercial PPO space."
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic