Beating the insurance Blues
Washington Post, December 17, 2008
Blue Cross/Blue Shield has revised its 2009 fee structure for non-emergency surgery by out-of-network doctors. In response to outraged workers who have the Blues standard option, and troubled members of Congress, the company announced that it will pay 70% of the fee it allows for such procedures, leaving the patients responsible for 30%, plus any difference between the allowed amount and the actual charge. The 30% share amounts to a five-percentage-point increase from the existing plan and is consistent with other out-of-network fees for the coming year.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised