CMS Renews $86 Million WellPoint Contract
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has renewed a four-year $86.7 million contract to WellPoint, Inc. subsidiary National Government Services, Inc., to continue administering the Durable Medical Equipment Medicare Administrative Contract for the seven-state Jurisdiction B region.
NGS was originally awarded the contract in January 2006. The new award, like the original award, consists of a base year and four one-year options. Jurisdiction B includes Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
"This contract represents CMS' continued confidence in our ability to deliver excellent service and value to our federal government partners," says Sandy Miller, senior vice president of WellPoint's Federal Government Solutions business. "We are pleased to have the opportunity to continue to serve CMS and the nearly 23,000 DME suppliers in Jurisdiction B."
NGS performs Medicare administrative functions for suppliers of durable medical equipment, prosthetics, orthotics and supplies. The new contract takes effect in December.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers