OIG Posts 'Most Wanted' List of Medicare Fraudsters
The Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Resources has for the first time issued a Most Wanted Fugitives list for Medicare fraud. The Top 10 suspects – representing the worst of the worst from a list of 170 fugitives -- are allegedly responsible for about $124 million in fraudulent claims against the federal healthcare program, OIG said.
Inspector General Daniel R. Levinson said he hopes the Top 10 list will draw public attention to the crime. "With our Most Wanted Fugitives List, OIG is asking the public's help in tracking down fugitives. The public has a stake in the fight against fraud, waste, and abuse," Levinson said.
The Most Wanted Fugitives List on the OIG Web site includes photos and profiles of each featured fugitive. The site includes an online fugitive tip form and the OIG hotline number for reporting fugitive-related information in English or Spanish, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The site will show when a fugitive's status changes, including when he or she is arrested.
"Individuals who steal from federal healthcare programs and then flee from the consequences of their crimes must be held accountable. We hope our new Web page will encourage the public to help us apprehend these fugitives," said Gerald T. Roy, OIG Deputy Inspector General for Investigations.
The 10 people on the most wanted list have allegedly cost taxpayers more than $124 million in fraud, OIG said.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big