UnitedHealth soars on earnings
UnitedHealth rose 8% to $47.81 by the close, a gain of $3.57. The company said net income jumped to $1.35 billion, or $1.22 a share, compared with $1.19 billion, or $1.03 a share, for the same period a year ago. Sales for the Minneapolis-based managed-care firm were $25.4 billion against last year's $23.2 billion. The nation's largest health insurer beat estimates by 33 cents a share, as analysts polled by FactSet Research had expected UnitedHealth to report earnings of 89 cents a share. That also prompted UnitedHealth to offer a 2011 full-year earnings forecast of $3.95 to $4.05 a share, compared with a $3.80 estimate from analysts.
- Will More Pioneer ACOs Defect?
- Charity HealthCare Conundrum Brewing Among Providers
- MU Final Rule Disappoints Some CIOs
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care