Geisinger, PA's Bloomsburg Health to Merge
Bloomsburg (PA) Health System and its affiliates will merge into Geisinger Health System, the two systems announced jointly Friday.
“This affiliation is good news for Bloomsburg Health System, our patients, and the community,” Bloomsburg Health System President/CEO Regis P. Cabonor said in prepared remarks. “It is very difficult in today’s environment for small, independent hospitals to invest in the facilities, technology and staff necessary to maintain services.”
Bloomsburg Health System includes Bloomsburg Hospital, Bloomsburg Health Care Center, Columbia Montour Home Health & Hospice, and Bloomsburg Physicians Services.
Danville, PA-based Geisinger and Bloomsburg already collaborate in other areas. Eight Geisinger doctors have full privileges at Bloomsburg Hospital, and 19 others are on the consulting or courtesy staffs. A Geisinger physician serves as medical director of the psychiatry unit. Geisinger provides clinical engineering services at Bloomsburg.
“Our focus is on further developing community-based programs designed to improve patients’ health and well-being, and enhancing the ability to provide superior care and service for all the residents of the region,” Geisinger President/CEO Glenn Steele, Jr., MD, said in prepared remarks.
After the deal clears regulatory hurdles, Bloomsburg Health System’s approximately 800 employees will keep their jobs and the Bloomsburg Hospital Board of Directors will become an advisory council for the new Geisinger-Bloomsburg Hospital campus.
“We expect approvals by the Pennsylvania Department of Health and Attorney General’s office could take approximately six months,” said Cabonor. “Moving forward, we will be looking to grow programs that best provide services for patients in the most efficient and appropriate setting.”
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations