Geisinger, PA's Bloomsburg Health to Merge
Bloomsburg (PA) Health System and its affiliates will merge into Geisinger Health System, the two systems announced jointly Friday.
“This affiliation is good news for Bloomsburg Health System, our patients, and the community,” Bloomsburg Health System President/CEO Regis P. Cabonor said in prepared remarks. “It is very difficult in today’s environment for small, independent hospitals to invest in the facilities, technology and staff necessary to maintain services.”
Bloomsburg Health System includes Bloomsburg Hospital, Bloomsburg Health Care Center, Columbia Montour Home Health & Hospice, and Bloomsburg Physicians Services.
Danville, PA-based Geisinger and Bloomsburg already collaborate in other areas. Eight Geisinger doctors have full privileges at Bloomsburg Hospital, and 19 others are on the consulting or courtesy staffs. A Geisinger physician serves as medical director of the psychiatry unit. Geisinger provides clinical engineering services at Bloomsburg.
“Our focus is on further developing community-based programs designed to improve patients’ health and well-being, and enhancing the ability to provide superior care and service for all the residents of the region,” Geisinger President/CEO Glenn Steele, Jr., MD, said in prepared remarks.
After the deal clears regulatory hurdles, Bloomsburg Health System’s approximately 800 employees will keep their jobs and the Bloomsburg Hospital Board of Directors will become an advisory council for the new Geisinger-Bloomsburg Hospital campus.
“We expect approvals by the Pennsylvania Department of Health and Attorney General’s office could take approximately six months,” said Cabonor. “Moving forward, we will be looking to grow programs that best provide services for patients in the most efficient and appropriate setting.”
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion