West Penn Allegheny doesn't control destiny in wake of Highmark-UPMC contract
While Highmark subscribers may be breathing easier now that Highmark and UPMC have extended their contract to 2015, you might forgive some folks at West Penn Allegheny Health System for still feeling apprehensive. On Thursday, Highmark Board Chairman and Acting CEO J. Robert Baum sent a letter to all West Penn Allegheny staff members saying "Highmark remains totally committed to the partnership that we've established with the West Penn Allegheny Health System." But between Highmark's search for a new CEO, West Penn Allegheny's continuing financial losses and a sooner-than-expected showdown between West Penn's Forbes Regional Hospital and the new UPMC East Hospital in Monroeville, the future of West Penn Allegheny in its current form looks far from certain.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'