BCBS dominates NC health insurance markets
Competition, when it comes to group health insurance, remains pretty much Blue Cross Blue Shield of N.C.—and the rest of the pack in the Triad and statewide. Blue Cross holds a 48 percent market share in the state for all commercial health products, according to a 2012 study by the American Medical Association on health insurance competition. UnitedHealthcare is second at 18 percent. The AMA said it determined, as it has in the past, "a significant absence of health insurer competition" in 70 percent of the 385 metropolitan areas it surveyed nationwide.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer