2007: Steady growth, enhanced consumerism
It's probably telling that many of the experts CDH consulted identified something that happened in late 2006-the Tax Relief and Health Care Act of 2006-as the most important CDH development of 2007. "All in all, this has been a pretty dull year in CDHP land," says Cathy Tripp, national practice leader for consumerism at Watson Wyatt in Minneapolis. "No new radical services or solutions, just continued fine-tuning around the edges." That doesn't mean there was no industry activity: Minneapolis-based UnitedHealthcare purchased Brookfield, WI-based Fiserv's TPA and other healthcare-related businesses, and Philadelphia-based CIGNA recently agreed to acquire Denver-based Great-West Healthcare.
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- ICD-10 Delay Alters Provider, Vendor Prep
- Esther Dyson Launches Population Health Challenge
- Crisis Spurs Healthcare Payment Reform in Arkansas
- Payment Reform Naysayers 'Better Wake Up'
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- HIT Leaders Want Flexibility, Transparency from Next HHS Chief
- As Hospitalist Patient Loads Rise, So Do Hospital Costs
- Reduce Readmissions by Activating Patients to Do 'Self-Care'
- Advance Directives: Let's Make a Law