ACOs: Tailoring Your Own Solution
"Although we're not pursuing an ACO directly, we are opportunistically looking at which elements make sense for us and are doing a fair amount of research before embarking on any reform-based changes."
— Gary E. Weiss, Executive Vice President, CFO, and Treasurer, NorthShore University HealthSystem, Evanston, IL
The HealthLeaders Media CFO Exchange brought together 30 top finance leaders from hospitals and health systems of varied sizes and regions to share ideas on how to best guide their organizations through the uncertainty brought about by specific healthcare mandates and general economic upheaval. This second report in a series of four provides information and insight on ACOs from leaders at NorthShore UniversityHealthSystem, Novant Health, North Shore–Long Island Jewish Health System, Presbyterian Healthcare Services, and Sanford Health.
The report reveals that leaders are developing their own ACO solutions, rather than relying on governmental ACO structures. Among the findings:
- 33% of leaders expect a positive overall ROI for their ACO strategy in 5 years
- To prepare for accountable care, more organizations have acquired or strategically aligned with home health companies (35%) than payers (28%)
- ICD-10: Minimizing the Financial Hit
- Hospital Compare Adds Infection, Stroke, Readmissions Data
- 3 Favorite Nursing Trends of 2013
- How One Provider is Saving Millions on Imaging Equipment
- HIT in 2014: Portal Perils and Half-Built Houses
- SLIDESHOW: HL20 — 20 People Who Are Making a Difference in Healthcare - 2013
- State Health Disparities Trace Medicaid Expansion
- Q&A: Banner CEO on 'Getting the Cost Out'
- Healthcare Unions Eye Gains in 2014
- Intelligence Report: Cost-Containment Expertise