Florida Hospital, Orlando Health create plan to treat pain patients in ERs
Tougher laws and new regulations targeting the state's pain clinics and rogue doctors are having an unintended consequence on Florida hospitals: More and more people are turning to the emergency room for painkillers, including prescription drug addicts. Emergency department doctors and nurses now find themselves treating hostile patients who are verbally and physically abusive. Some of those pill-seekers even make threats against hospital staff if they don't receive the drugs they want.
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- Report: Enrollees still face account problems on Healthcare.gov
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US