Florida Hospital, Orlando Health create plan to treat pain patients in ERs
Tougher laws and new regulations targeting the state's pain clinics and rogue doctors are having an unintended consequence on Florida hospitals: More and more people are turning to the emergency room for painkillers, including prescription drug addicts. Emergency department doctors and nurses now find themselves treating hostile patients who are verbally and physically abusive. Some of those pill-seekers even make threats against hospital staff if they don't receive the drugs they want.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream