Value-Based Purchasing: Facing the HCAHPS Hurdle
“VBP is a zero-sum game—out of necessity there will be winners and losers. It's disheartening to know that. The whole payment system from the government standpoint is generally punitive and this is the latest game.”
—James F. Doyle, Senior Vice President and CFO, Elmhurst (IL) Memorial Healthcare
The HealthLeaders Media CFO Exchange brought together 30 top finance leaders from hospitals and health systems of varied sizes and regions to share ideas on how to best guide their organizations through the uncertainty brought about by specific healthcare mandates and general economic upheaval. This fourth report in a series of four provides information and insight on value-based purchasing from leaders at Elmhurst Memorial Healthcare, Hackensack University Medical Center, Piedmont Healthcare, Griffin Hospital, and Sharp Healthcare.
Among the report findings:
- 50% of healthcare leaders say HCAHPS will provide the greatest difficulty in reaching VBP incentives
- 25% have not yet begun preparing for VBP
- Only 54% have modeled revenue gains/losses for VBP; only 15% have developed a 5-year financial plan based on the change to VBP
- Leaders were evenly split on whether VBP would succeed in increasing quality while reducing costs
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Will More Pioneer ACOs Defect?
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Transforming Cancer Care
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US