WellPoint's 1Q profit falls as costs climb
WellPoint Inc. said Wednesday that its first-quarter profit fell 7.6 percent as enrollment slipped and expenses rose, but the health insurer raised its earnings forecast for 2012. The Indianapolis company reported net income of $856.5 million, or $2.53 per share, for the three months ended March 31, down from $926.6 million, or $2.44 per share, a year earlier. Excluding investment gains, WellPoint earned $2.34 per share in this year's first quarter. Operating revenue climbed 3.4 percent to $15.15 billion from $14.65 billion a year ago. Analysts surveyed by FactSet expected, on average, earnings of $2.27 per share on $15.41 billion in revenue.
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians