Anthem Blue Cross settles with CA over data breach
Anthem Blue Cross has reached a settlement with California Attorney General Kamala Harris over allegations the company failed to protect the personal information of its members. Between April 2011 and March 2012, Anthem printed the Social Security numbers as part of a priority code on marketing mailers and payment letters mailed to more than 33,750 Medicare members in violation of state law the restricts disclosure of the numbers. The priority code—and Social Security number—was viewable through the envelope window.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Access to EHR Notes Lauded by Patients, Providers