Opinion: UPMC and other big nonprofits should remain tax-exempt
Just how schizophrenic we have become over UPMC and other local "super" nonprofits is showcased by Mayor Luke Ravenstahl suing UPMC to lift its tax exemption while lauding UPMC for funding The Pittsburgh Promise. After an extensive expose of UPMC real estate holdings by the Post-Gazette, Allegheny County Council is holding hearings on UPMC's tax-exempt properties as well. Now, if there is any elected official with more reason to resent UPMC than myself, please have him or her call me. After watching UPMC raze our beloved hospital in Braddock and call Pittsburgh's finest to arrest me, and then having UPMC ignore my fruitless groveling for an urgent care center, I have more than three years' worth of bloody knuckles from this unrequited relationship.
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers