VIDEO: Very different hospital bills for the very same treatment
For the first time, the federal government has disclosed what hospitals charge for the 100 most common Medicare DRGs. The findings, revealed Wednesday, show not only massive disparities between hospitals in states nationwide, but even larger gaps between individual communities all around the country. Examples of the different types of bills include use of a ventilator for breathing difficulties, treatment for pneumonia and the cost of a joint replacement. Wonkblog's Sarah Kliff discusses these findings in this video.
- Governors Push to Expand Role of PAs, Telemedicine
- 3 More Pioneer ACOs Say They Will Quit
- Why Open Payments Irks Physicians
- Ebola in the U.S.: Reason to Fear, to Hope, to Prepare
- Top Provider Billing Mistakes Are Changing
- Overcoming a Payer Mix 'Nightmare'
- Employee Engagement: Make It Meaningful
- These Algorithms Reduce Readmissions
- Payer Calls for More Primary Care Docs, Team Care
- Difficult Patients: It's Not Them, It's You, Doctor