University of Pittsburgh Medical Center laying off 500
About 500 University of Pittsburgh Medical Center employees are being laid off as part of the health system's ongoing cost savings initiatives. The layoffs are "almost entirely non-clinical, administrative and managerial positions" and are occurring systemwide, said a UPMC spokesman. UPMC employs about 50,000 workers and, despite the layoffs, it expects to hire more than 3,000 new employees this year, he added.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Access to EHR Notes Lauded by Patients, Providers