Birmingham-based St. Vincent's Health System lays off 74 workers
Birmingham, AL-based St. Vincent's Health System has laid off 74 workers and closed another 55 open positions, affecting about 2% of the work force at the four-hospital system. The layoffs are the culmination of eight weeks of study during which consultants and teams of employees looked for ways to make the 4,700-employee organization more efficient. The Catholic health system is working to turn around two years of losses: an $8.5 million bottom line loss in the fiscal year that ended June 30 and a $35 million loss the year before.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Access to EHR Notes Lauded by Patients, Providers