Hospitals Add 10K Jobs in April
For the second consecutive month, job growth in the healthcare sector showed impressive gains, Bureau of Labor Statistics preliminary data show.
Hospitals created 10,100 new jobs in April, after posting 10,200 new jobs in March. So far in 2011, hospitals have created 31,500 new jobs, compared with 8,900 new jobs in the first four months of 2010, BLS data and preliminary data show.
The healthcare sector – everything from hospitals to podiatrists' offices to kidney dialysis centers – created 37,290 new jobs in April, after posting 34,400 new jobs in March, and 112,100 new jobs in 2011. Healthcare created 80,500 new jobs in the first four months of 2010, BLS preliminary data and preliminary show.
Healthcare sector employment nudged over the 14 million jobs threshold in April, with more than 4.7 million jobs at hospitals, more than 6.1 million jobs in ambulatory services, and more than 2.3 million in physicians’ offices, BLS preliminary data show.
Ambulatory services accounted for more than half of the new jobs created in the healthcare sector in 2011, with 21,500 new jobs in April, and 59,800 new jobs in the last four months. Ambulatory services created more than 57,000 new jobs in the first four months of 2010, BLS data and preliminary data show.
Physicians' offices reported another strong month of job growth, with 6,600 new payroll additions reported in April, after posting 8,700 new jobs in March, and 31,500 new jobs in 2011. That compares with 8,900 new jobs in the first four months of 2010.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians