West Penn Allegheny doesn't control destiny in wake of Highmark-UPMC contract
While Highmark subscribers may be breathing easier now that Highmark and UPMC have extended their contract to 2015, you might forgive some folks at West Penn Allegheny Health System for still feeling apprehensive. On Thursday, Highmark Board Chairman and Acting CEO J. Robert Baum sent a letter to all West Penn Allegheny staff members saying "Highmark remains totally committed to the partnership that we've established with the West Penn Allegheny Health System." But between Highmark's search for a new CEO, West Penn Allegheny's continuing financial losses and a sooner-than-expected showdown between West Penn's Forbes Regional Hospital and the new UPMC East Hospital in Monroeville, the future of West Penn Allegheny in its current form looks far from certain.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer