Highmark names former Assistant Secretary of Defense as CEO
The board of directors of Highmark Inc. today announced the appointment of William Winkenwerder, Jr., M.D., M.B.A. as the company's new president and chief executive officer. Dr. Winkenwerder is a leading national health care executive with significant experience in medical care delivery, health insurance operations and national health policy. Among his accomplishments was his tenure as Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs in the U.S. Department of Defense from October 2001 through April 2007, where he led the Military Health System's 132,000 personnel and served as the principal medical advisor to Secretaries of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Robert Gates.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts