Highmark chief builds staff with former UPMC colleagues
John Paul is putting the band back together. As Highmark Inc. goes about building a billion-dollar hospital and health care network to take on UPMC, Mr. Paul—the leader of Highmark's new healthcare provider wing and UPMC's chief operating officer before departing the system in 2003—is relying on several former UPMC executives to build and run the new Highmark network. That he has turned to former UPMC personnel reflects not only his own three decades of familiarity with the system, but also UPMC's dominance—if you want to hire a health care executive with knowledge of the Pittsburgh-area business landscape, there's a good chance that he or she is with the UPMC network, or has at least passed through it.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending