HMA plans continued push to expand, despite '60 Minutes' report
"The pipeline is rich." That's what Gary Newsome, the CEO of Naples-based Health Management Associates Inc., had to say when an analyst asked for an update on its hospital buying opportunities during the company's last earnings conference call. Newsome's optimism came in October, several weeks before "60 Minutes" aired a segment on its investigation of the hospital operator, in which several former employees accused the company of fraud - and of pressuring doctors into admitting patients needlessly to boost revenues.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer